Gonna put this Daily Fantasy Basketball piece together and post it tonight since Sunday’s always seem to trip us up here… DAMN YOU NBA for making me wake up early as fuck!!!! Such is the life of a Daily Fantasy Sports player living on the West Coast. Basically it’s going to be a
quick huge in depth rundown of Sunday’s games with what matchups should be solid plays tomorrow.
This thing ended up being epicly long, so I’m breaking it up into 2 parts. Part 1 will contain PGs, SGs, and SFs. Part 2 will contain PFs, Centers, and a Chart breaking down matchups by Offensive/Defensive Efficiency rankings over a teams last 10 games.
If you want to skip to Part 2 click here: Part 2 Sunday NBA Matchups
Daily Fantasy Basketball Top PG’s
- Russell Westbrook:While he’s going to be the most expensive option at PG today, he also could have by far the best matchup. Over the last 10 games Miami is the 25th ranked team vs PG’s in DeFF, while Westbrook is the top scoring PG in the NBA and 3rd overall in offensive efficiency. In what should be a fast paced game in OKC he could be the best matchup tomorrow, which is saying something in a game that has Durant, Wade, and Lebron in it also. In 2 games in 2011 Westbrook scored 19.5 pts, 7.5 assists, 4 rebounds, and 2 steals per game vs MIA or 35 fantasy pts/gm, and he’s playing at a significantly higher level this season.
- Ramon Sessions: Sessions has taken over as the full time starter for the Lakers, and it’s been impressive how well he’s integrated with the team in just 4 games. The Lakers played the Grizz 2 weeks ago, and Steve Blake/Derek Fisher combined to score 17 points, 6 rebounds, and 5 assists. I’m pretty sure Sessions will top those numbers himself, as over the last 10 games the Grizz are dead last in the NBA vs PG’s. Combine that with the fact that Bynum torched them in their last game for 37 points, and I expect to see plenty of opportunities for Sessions to score, as I expect the Grizzlies focus to be on stopping Bynum/Kobe.
- Kyrie Irving: Phoenix is a perfect example of a team where stats don’t tell the full picture this NBA season. Thanks to some lucky scheduling/injuries, PHX has managed to avoid playing elite PG’s this season. In their 48 games so far, they’ve only been matched up 6 times with teams with ‘elite’ Point Guards and one of those games vs the Bulls Derrick Rose was out due to injury. Because of this Phoenix is #5 in the NBA in defensive efficiency, which obviously makes very little sense when Steve Nash is your PG. Irving has already played the Suns once this season, and lit them up for 26 points, 3 rebounds, 6 assists, and 2 steals. I’d expect a similar total for the stellar rookie tomorrow, playing at home and rested.
*Quick note, if you feel like a small gamble, I expect that JJ Barea is going to get increased minutes at the PG spot, with Luke Ridnour moving back to his more customary 2 guard spot after Barea’s performances in the last 2 games. Barea is bargain basement cheap right now, and he can free up some valuable salary for your Daily Fantasy Basketball Lineup.
Daily Fantasy Basketball Top SG’s
- Dwyane Wade:In terms of offensive efficiency, Dwyane Wade is the #1 overall SG in the league. Going against the 16th ranked defense vs SG’s this season, we expect big things from Wade tomorrow in the NBA’s marquee game of the day vs the OKC Thunder. In the 2 games last season vs OKC, Wade lit them up for 26.5 points, 7.5 rebounds, 2.5 assists, and 1.5 steals. In Daily Fantasy Basketball terms, he beast moded vs them, and I’d expect a very similar result as last year’s game in OKC.(MIA won 108-103 in last yrs matchup in OKC)
- Wilson Chandler: Originally this was a piece about Afflalo’s good matchup, but with his suspension news, Chandler slides right in, and becomes an even better value. Since returning from China Chandler has averaged 12.3 ppg, 5.7 rebounds, and 2.3 assists, in 29 mins of play. Expect those numbers to increase today as he’ll see at least 7 or 8 more minutes of action with Afflalo/Gallinari/Fernandez all out for the Nuggets today. Minnesota is the 27th ranked defense in the NBA vs SG’s, so Chandler has a great matchup, especially if Ridnour plays heavy minutes at the 2 guard like he did vs OKC in their last game. Also Ty Lawson’s value goes up with this news, as he’ll be expected to carry more of the scoring load now.
- Klay Thompson: If you’ve been following us over the last week or so, we’ve been all over Klay Thompson in our Daily Fantasy Basketball lineups. While he did have an off game this week, overall Thompson has paid off in spades. Last night he lit up the Kings for 31 points, 1 rebound, 2 assists, 2 steals, and 2 blocks, for a 40.5 point performance on DraftDay. Portland has been a mess this season, and over their last 10 games they’re the 21st ranked defense vs SG’s.
Daily Fantasy Basketball Top SF’s
- Kevin Durant: While MIA is the top overall team defending the Small forward spot this year,(No surprise with LBJ at SF) Kevin Durant has lit them up in the past. In both games last season he averaged, 31.0 points, 8.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists, and 2.5 steals, and as he’s shown this season he has no problem scoring on anybody. Obviously if you’re going to have him in a lineup you’re going to have to load up on some value picks, but luckily with Klay Thompson/Ramon Sessions/JJ Barea you have some quality choices in the Value-Pick category.
- Wesley Matthews: Depending on the site you’re playing, Matthews is either listed as a guard or forward, but hopefully it’s like DraftDay where you can play him in either slot. While I’m pretty ‘bearish’ on this Portland team in general, Matthews has been the only bright sport since they blew up the team. Since being moved into the starting lineup Matthews has averaged 17.8 points, 5.5 rebounds, 1 assist, and 2.5 steals in the last 5 games. Not monster numbers, but Golden State is the 21st overall team vs SF’s this season, and Matthews has been almost guaranteed 25 Daily Fantasy Basketball points a game.
- Paul Pierce: Like every other player in Daily Fantasy Basketball, Pierce has lit up the Wizards this season. In 3 games this season Pierce has averaged 21.3 points, 7.3 rebounds, 5.7 assists and nearly 2 steals per game. In the last game the Celtics played the Wiz, Pierce went off for 37 points, 10 assists, and 8 rebounds, and with Michael Pietrus out for the immediate future expect him to play heavier minutes.
*Other solid options tomorrow include Joe Johnson(again you have to play on a site that allows you to play him at either SF/SG); Great Value-Play Gordon Hayward who has been awesome since he entered the starting lineup for the Jazz; Wilson Chandler is another Daily Fantasy Basketball value play with high risk/reward, MIN is awful defending the 3, but Chandler could end up getting vultured from Corey Brewer.
For all the Power Forward, and Center Picks, plus an Offensive/Defensive efficiency chart for tomorrow’s game click here: Part 2 Sunday NBA Matchup’s